Effective employee training is one of the more essential long-term investments you can make in your company. It is essential to your growth strategy and your company’s future success. That’s because training is how you help your employees reach their full potential, meet your goals, and provide customers with the experience they expect.
Unfortunately, many companies do not dedicate enough time or energy to training. They focus on one-time onboarding and then, after that, they provide just six to 12 minutes of training every six months. This means that employees aren’t receiving the training they deserve or want—74% of employees feel that they are not achieving their full potential at work due to a lack of development opportunities.
The good news is that call center training software can help you overcome barriers to training and implement a training program that is easy to use and successful.
What is Call Center Training Software?
Call center training software includes software tools and content that assist you with training your employees. Whether a full learning management system (LMS) or a more simplified program, the tool should help you organize an online, in-person, or blended training program so you can manage, track, and achieve your learning goals.
There should be the ability to develop and manage courses, assign users, streamline attendance and delivery, and scale training to meet the needs of the organization. When implemented effectively, call center training software should provide your company with the resources and insight needed to deliver training anywhere and at any time.Home Grown Training Tools VS a Learning Management System (LMS)
The key to call center training software is choosing the right type of learning system for your needs.
Currently, many companies try to survive with homegrown spreadsheets. But while spreadsheets can be helpful for keeping records of training, they are not scalable, offer no progress tracking, and require expensive and rigorous manual work. A spreadsheet offers no way to easily and quickly organize content, automate training activity, or review results. It is less of an all-in-one training solution and more of a manual record.
On the other hand, a learning management system (LMS) is an all-in-one training solution. It saves you time by automating much of the training process. You can quickly create and manage courses (using SCORM 1.2 and xAPI files), add LIVE courses, track attendance, assess knowledge (through exams), reward learners, and seamlessly integrate training into your other software systems with the click of a button.
Training by Spreadsheet
Learning Management System [LMS]
· Not scalable
· No progress tracking
· Poor organization ability
· Expensive and rigorous manual work
· Easily scalable
· Automated course and user management
· Blended learning options
· Track, record, and analyze training progress
· Integrates with other call center software
Common LMS Features of Call Center Training Software
The goal of call center training software (like an LMS) is to provide a centralized solution for managing, tracking, and achieving your learning goals. The program should partner with you to:
- Deliver training anywhere and at any time.
- Identify gaps in training and learning.
- Create, manage, and deliver a call center training program.
- Automate and scale training to meet needs.
- Track, document, and report on effective training.
So what LMS features do you need to take your call center training program and customer experience to the next level? Here are a few:
- Course Management: Your call center training software should offer the ability to build, manage, and distribute courses with ease. Look for LMS features that allow you to drag and drop course content into the system and create content in various formats (Word, PowerPoint, PDF, Video, Audio, etc.).
- User Management: You need to be able to quickly organize users into segments by department, team, role, location, and more. This feature should also allow you to create groups, set users as administrators, managers, instructors, or learners, and delegate tasks accordingly.
- Intuitive Interface: Your call center training software should be user-friendly with an intuitive interface that works with popular authoring tools such as Adobe Captivate, Articulate Storyline, and Elucidate. You should also be able to upload SCORM and xAPI files.
- Blended Learning Options: eLearning should not be the only type of training available in your LMS. You should also be able to schedule and add LIVE training sessions for instructor-led learning across multiple time zones.
- Learning Environments: There should be the ability to create a different learning portal that’s customizable for each audience type. And those environments should allow for sharing courses, audience management, and group conversations within forums, discussion boards, and topics.
- Gamification: To keep learners engaged, a key LMS feature is the ability to gamify the training experience through goals and milestones while recognizing learner achievements. Look for the ability to award badges and points and highlight top performers on leaderboards.
- Exams: Your call center training software should allow you to automatically test learners and gain performance metrics via exams. There should also be multiple question types, including multiple-choice, true or false, and fill-in-the-blank.
- Reporting: Fully functional reports are critical for tracking your company’s training progress and user progression. You should have the ability to apply data filters to customize your reports and automate them on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis.
- Integration Abilities: Your training software should integrate with other popular tools within your call center to eliminate repetitive tasks and automate training. Look for integration with webinar tools, HR systems, task management tools, customer service tools, social media, CRM, and Payment gateways.
- Learner Feedback: The system should allow you to gain insightful learning feedback through surveys about the course experience and trainers.
- Mobile-Friendly Capabilities: The software should be mobile-friendly so that learners can train anywhere and at any time with an on-the-go learning app that functions just like the desktop environment.
- Branding and White-Labeling: Your call center LMS should reflect your business by being configurable with your logo, colors, images, and custom URLs.
- Language Support: For global call centers, the LMS should offer training in multiple languages, including English, French, Chinese, German, and Spanish.
10 Benefits of Using Software for Your Call Center Training Program
Creating an effective call center training program can be a cumbersome task. However, it’s an essential one that can be made easier by using call center training software. With software, you can automate much of the training process, improving how you teach compliance, customer engagement, agent soft skills, and performance.
When used correctly, a call center LMS offers a vast online environment for on-demand and instructor-led education.
1. Centralized Automated Training Solution
The software for your call center training program should be an all-in-one solution. The goal of the system should be to automate the process of training and eliminate repetitive administrative tasks. It should help you quickly and easily assign learning to a large number of individuals at once to support productivity, retention, and growth.
The software solution should also go above-and-beyond traditional training to offer a more user-friendly, mobile-responsive, and guided training experience. And with all the features outlined above, it should help you save time, streamline, and manage all aspects of your training program without technical expertise.
2. Anywhere and Any Time Training
Whether you have a remote call center or your employees occasionally work outside the office, virtual training is essential. You need a way to overcome disconnection, delayed communication, and a lack of resources to provide an exceptional learning experience.
Software can help you create an effective virtual classroom (on desktop, tablet, and mobile) to quickly and efficiently disseminate training. You can divide learners into groups or individuals and deliver cost-effective learning anywhere and at any time through videos, online tests, downloads, podcasts, games, and more.
3. Efficient and Effective Employee Onboarding
Only 12% of employees feel that their organization does a great job at onboarding. With call center training software, it’s easier than ever to create formal and informal employee onboarding. New hires will receive simplified training focused on the skills, knowledge, and resources needed to shine in their roles.
The software can automatically add and enroll the new hires into onboarding when they are entered into the CRM. From there, the new employee will be automatically assigned learning paths, courses, and milestones. You can even set notifications to remind new hires when it is time to learn.
4. Highly Specific Training per Employee
The global workplace training industry is worth $370.3 billion. Unfortunately, much of that money is invested in ineffective learning, outdated materials, and non-specific learning goals. But with a call center training program, you can identify the critical needs of each employee and design courses that specifically meet those needs.
Within a call center LMS, each employee is set as a separate “user,” which means they can be assigned specific courses and training sessions designed for their development. And with the ability to track each employee’s progression via exams, surveys, and training histories, you can quickly and easily adjust learning to be more personalized and effective.
5. Training Based on Learning Gaps
Many times, call center training programs throw everything at agents at once. This can leave agents feeling overwhelmed. Software helps you create a more well-rounded training program that is more directly related to your organization’s goals, resources, the individual’s needs, and the customer experience.
That’s because an LMS can help you identify gaps in agent knowledge through routine performance reviews, exams, and assessments. You can even ask your employees to identify the knowledge gaps and skills they’d most like to learn through surveys. And from there, you can develop fresh and effective training that fills in those gaps with product and service knowledge, soft skills training, and more.
6. More Engaged Employees with Less Turnover
According to 68% of workers, training and development is essential to their success and happiness. They feel that learning gives them a competitive advantage and increases their productivity. It also helps them feel more engaged in their work, which means for 94% of employees, it helps them stay at a company longer.
Call center training software offers employees an easy-to-use platform for engaging in learning. It encourages them to spend their time training by creating learning paths that guide their experience in an engaging way. And the best systems offer both mandatory and self-directed learning so employees can take courses when they are most motivated to learn.
7. Nurture Learning Through One-on-One Engagement and Gamification
As for nurturing the desire to learn, one of the most effective call center LMS features is the ability to gamify learning. This offers learning and development teams the ability to set clear goals, milestones, and recognize achievements, which increases overall employee engagement.
A customer service LMS allows you to add gaming mechanics to the entire learning process. Along each step in the training program, you can reward learners with badges and points, and even highlight top performers and award prizes on a call center dashboard. In this way, you continuously promote agent improvements by making learning fun, interesting, and agent-focused.
8. Increased Customer Satisfaction
If you want happy customers, you need well-trained employees. Call center staff that are trained using an LMS are more likely to develop and perfect their customer service skills. They’ll be trained above-and-beyond onboarding to continually develop experience assisting customers, demonstrating empathy, and handling customer complaints.
Call center training software allows agents to practice interactions and gain immediate feedback on their performance. This helps them make progress, not only when it comes to technical skills, but also soft skills, processes, products, services, and compliance. And since they can learn at their own speed, they can learn to not just meet but exceed customer expectations.
9. Track Training Progress and Effectiveness with QA Metrics
Without an LMS, it’s difficult to track the effectiveness of your call center training program. But with software, you can gain useful insights and actionable reports all about how you’re doing meeting your learning goals. In fact, you can track, score, analyze, and improve upon all QA metrics, which is critical to exceptional call quality.
You can track training progress through automated daily, weekly, and monthly reports, learner surveys, and performance dashboards. In this way, you can directly measure the impact your training has on your ROI. Then, from there, you can organize further training to improve performance.
10. Cost-Effective Training
Delivering and managing call center agent training takes a lot of time and energy. However, with call center training software, much of the common administrative tasks are eliminated. As an all-in-one solution, your call center LMS can help you create consistent and simplified training that is mostly automated and designed to train and engage a large number of employees at once.
And because software makes your call center training program entirely online, it’s effortless to create new material as needed. This means you can spend less money on trainers and materials that lose money over time. And since you can update the learning process at a moment’s notice, you can make your training more cost-effective and fluid.
6 Steps for Implementing a Call Center Training Software
Now that you know why implementing call center training software is important, how do you get started? There are six steps.
Step 1: Establish a Call Center Training Program
First and foremost, you need a game plan to create your call center training program. This means you need to outline all of the training that needs to take place from the ground up. And be as specific as possible about what needs to be covered and how often that training needs to happen.
There are three questions you need to answer to get started.
- What training materials are available? Do you already have training materials for best practices, compliance, processes, and skill-building? What materials do you need to create from scratch, and what can you adapt?
- What training resources are available? Beyond your training materials, do you have software, data, tools, and mentors in place to implement training?
- What employee capabilities are important to success? Identify the soft skills, hard skills, compliance knowledge, and processes that are essential to success in your company. These are the capabilities you’ll build your call center training program around.
Step 2: Choose the Right LMS
Next, you want to choose the right LMS to help you efficiently deliver, effectively manage, and accurately measure you call center training program. By implementing an easy-to-use learning management system, you create a single, comprehensive learning platform for all of your training needs.
Look for an LMS that has all the features we outlined above, as well as a vast online environment for on-demand and instructor-led training. The system should streamline content creation, attendance, and classroom delivery. It should also have the ability to offer different course types and styles to best suit the individual learner (document, presentation, video, audio, webinar, live training, etc.).
The LMS should also be highly flexible, allowing you to train based on your agents’ schedules and needs. If it is not a user-friendly and comprehensive learning and development solution, such as Scorebuddy’s LMS, it is not the best system for your needs.
Step 3: Setup Your LMS for Customer Service Training
Once you’ve chosen your call center LMS, you need to set it up correctly for efficient and effective call center training. With Scorebuddy’s LMS, this is a simple six-step process.
- Upload Coursework: Using SCORM or xAPI files automatically upload or create courses within your training program
- Add Employees (New Hires): Batch upload multiple employees at a time via CSV or manually add new learners.
- Assign Roles (Student, Admins, Managers, and Instructors): Assign employee roles based on who needs to be involved in what stage of training.
- Automate Enrollments: Set specific criteria for each user role to automatically add those employees to all required courses.
- Group Learners: Create groups of learners with tailored content for each group based on their needs.
- Set Timelines & Due Dates: Create a training schedule and set time frames and due dates for completion.
Step 4: Start with Onboarding
If this is your first time building a call center training program and implementing software, start with what you know: your onboarding program. Instead of trying to immediately jump to delivering ongoing and continuous training, focus on implementing software for your onboarding process.
Onboarding is essential for job retention and job efficiency, so using software to automate onboarding in your call center to ramp up agents is an effective use of your time. It gives you an opportunity to manage training procedures, look past software functionality, and to ask the question “does this help solve my problem?” It also helps you add structure and measure return on investment.
Step 5: Ramp up to Ongoing and Continuous Training
Employee onboarding is only part of the process in an overall training program. It’s the first step, but you have to create long-term employee education goals. This means you need a way to make interpersonal development a regular part of your agents’ work life. They should have access to a large catalog of courses that they can pick and choose from for self-directed learning and instructor-led learning.
One way to ramp up training is to break down your education goals into steps with timelines. From there, you can create learning paths that employees can enroll in with grouped courses all on a specific topic. For example, you can create a sales learning path with three courses:
- Intro to Sales
- Sales Enablement
- Sales Software
Then, once a user has completed one course or a certain timeframe has passed, they are auto-enrolled in the next course for continual progress.
Step 6: Measure the Success of Your Call Center Training Program
The only way you’ll know if your call center training software is a success is if you report, monitor, and improve upon it. Use your software to view reports on how well onboarding and ongoing training is performing. You’ll want to access details on employee performance to ensure they’re staying up to speed and gaining new knowledge.
Identify training gaps, confusing and inefficient processes, and employee frustrations. The goal of the software should be to create a frustration-free and user-friendly training environment, so be prepared to make changes as needed.
And don’t be afraid of asking for employee feedback. Not only does it make your employees feel more valued, but it will help you improve your training processes.
The Best Call Center Training Software
Scorebuddy LMS™ is a single platform solution that offers contact centers the ability to perform QA alongside a fully featured LMS and a rich library of curated content inside the Scorebuddy Academy™.
Our call center training software is easy-to-use and helps contact center managers and quality assurance managers deliver effective and accurate call center training. Users have easy access to a wide range of training content and curated expert courses to educate and certify their teams.
- Create your own branded LMS Portal
- Blended Live and online courses
- Full Track and Report features
- Basic Authoring tool
- Fully SCORM and xAPI compliant
- Exams and Assessments
- Learning Paths
It’s learning as it should be—in an all-in-one, powerful solution. For more information on Scorebuddy LMS™ and Scorebuddy Academy™, visit https://scorebuddyqa.com/us/learning/